Last December we invited young people from the Asia-Pacific region to submit project proposals for the webinar.
The proposals included a detailed description of the project’s topic, motivation and aims, as well as a production plan. Over a dozen groups from all Asian subregions sent their proposals covering a broad array of sustainable development issues. Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS RECAP) and Hong Kong – America Center (HKAC) selected the five best groups to participate in the webinar. These proposal convinced us as they have a clear understanding of the SDGs and presented visually interesting and communicative ideas. They involve communities and have potential for further improvement.
The webinar started with online courses and discussion the four SDGs and what they mean for a sustainable future development in Asia. The teams examine online resources and enrich the available material with their own contributions. They exchange their opinions, experiences and ideas with the organisers and external experts. A special focus is on how to implement the respective SDGs in their home countries. In each session participants meet face-to-face online to review the discussions and results.
In summer, the creative-productive part follows. Based on what the participants learnt, each team makes a multimedia product (“the essay”) about a selected topic. This can be videos, but may include other issues such as audio, text etc. The essays deal with sustainability projects the teams have previously started to implement in their community. They tell these stories by highlighting the human dimensions of the problems that communities grapple with in achieving the goals of the SDGs.
In September representatives from each team attended a project workshop meeting in Bangkok. A social media video expert reviewed all the videos and gave extensive feedback on how to create short videos with a stronger script and storyline, more character development and captioning, and how to “grab” the attention of a viewer in the first 10 seconds. This workshop focused on the production of shorter videos designed to get out the team project messages on social media.
In January 2019 representatives from each team attended the United Nations Asia-Pacific Ministerial Summit on the Environment in Singapore. Ministers and other high-ranking government representatives will meet to coordinate their countries’ joint efforts in climate related sustainable development policies. Non-governmental and civil society organisations from all over the Asia-Pacific met to discuss issues and ongoing projects at the Summit. The five project teams webinar discussed their multimedia projects with the conference participants. They also took the opportunity to get in touch with other NGOs and build networks around Asia.
May – June 2018: Deepening the knowledge of SDG
- May 8 Finalists notified
- May 8-17 Finalists to join workshop course, post profiles
- May 18-19 Participate in webinars for introductions
- May 20-25 Presentations and forum discussions about SDG 7
- May 26 Participate in webinars for idea sharing about SDG 7
- May 27-31 Presentations and forum discussions about SDG 11
- June 1-2 Participate in webinars for idea sharing about SDG 7
- June 3-7 Presentations and forum discussions about SDG 13
- June 8-9 Participate in webinars for idea sharing about SDG 13
- June 10 – 14 Presentations and forum discussions about SDG 9
- June 15-16 Participate in webinars for idea sharing about SDG 9
- June 17 – 30 Review progress and generate ideas for multimedia essays
July – August 2018: Developing and Presenting the Project Ideas
- July 1 – 13 Develop and share storyboard ideas, give feedback on forums
- July 14 – 15 Creativity focus webinars: share storyboards
- July 16 – 27 Study video techniques, develop draft videos, give feedback
- July 28 – 29 Creativity focus webinars: share draft video
September 2018: Project Workshop meeting
- September Workshop meeting in Bangkok
- Share draft videos, get feedback from social media experts
- Develop and share storyboard ideas, give feedback on forums
October – December 2018: Final Production
- October Study video techniques, develop draft videos, give feedback
- October Creativity focus webinars: share draft video
- November Develop WordPress sites to host multimedia essays, give feedback
- November Creativity focus webinars: share websites
- December Finalize videos and websites, give feedback in forums
- December Creativity focus webinars: share final multimedia essays
- December Upload final productions to WordPress, Google Drive
January 2019: Presenting to the International Public
- January 23-25 Participating at UNEP – United Nations Asia-Pacific Ministerial Summit on the Environmental Programme in Singapore